Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Book Review: Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches



I'll be completely honest...a lot of people recommended I read Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches by patient advocate Teri Robert, but I was hesitant because of the title. I don't want to "live well" with pain - I want it to go away!

After reading the book though, I too am joining the fans who recommend it. It's different from other books I've read by doctors who simply go through the types of headaches and a few drug treatment options. This book includes that information but also gives personal stories, including Teri's, and educates you on terminology and our legal rights as patients. Some of the personal stories are extremely sad, but you need to read them to know that the worse thing that can happen - stroke for example - can and has happened, so it's important to have that knowledge and be aware of what's going on with your own body.

Everyone who suffers from chronic headaches and migraines, or "Migraine disease" as Teri calls it, should read this book.

-------------

A quick update: My MRI was canceled because the MRI office couldn't get in touch with my neurologist for a signature which was required by insurance. I spoke with my neuro's assistant and she said that wasn't the case; my neuro had to speak with a doctor on my insurance's medical board and wasn't able to get in touch with them in time. I'm going to guess that my insurance is holding things up so that I'll have to wait until January for my MRI, which means I pay my full $500 deductible because it starts over in 2010. Ugh.

I'm starting my rice and water diet January 1 (please don't try to convince me not to do it, unless you're a nutritionist), so I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. I'm also headed to the library to pick up another book to help me do the elimination diet, so I'll have another book review coming soon.

Happy New Year, everybody!