Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weekend Migraine

I'm going to be honest. I go to bed and wake up later than usual on weekends. I'm really good at keeping my sleep-eat schedule during the week, but I don't want a strict schedule on weekends.

On Friday I had weird random pains in the back of my head, on and off all day. I can't remember when I went to bed but I'm guessing it was around midnight. Saturday morning, I got up around 7:45 - not terrible - but then I took an afternoon nap on the couch from 3ish to 6:30ish. Waaaay too long! I woke with an awful headache that got worse and worse toward the night. I didn't take anything because I try not to take medicine for headaches at the end of the day because sometimes they go away after I sleep for the night, and if I still have it when I wake up, then I'll take the medicine. I have to be careful not to take medicine too much because I could get rebound headaches, so I try to save it for the really bad ones...

...like this morning. I had trouble going to sleep last night because my head hurt. Next thing I remember I'm waking up at 4 a.m. with a pounding migraine. I use a cervical pillow to help with neck pain, but it's really hard and it was killing my head, so I threw it on the floor and used half of my husband's soft pillow. When I woke up for church, the migraine was there but seemed to be getting better, so I didn't take medicine.

I went to church and had a cup of tea to see if the caffeine would help me feel better. Then about 10 minutes into church, when I stood up with everyone for the gospel reading, I started to feel bad, like I might faint, and then the nausea kicked in. It was awful...I tried to stay through the reading but I had to go near the end. I told my husband I felt bad, grabbed my purse and went to the bathroom. I didn't throw up, but I had to sit and close my eyes for a while. Once I felt less nauseous, I went to get some water and I took an Excedrin Migraine. I sat in a comfy chair in the lobby area and could hear the sermon, so I stayed there the rest of the service. I started getting cold and was shaky so I drank a cup of coffee. It didn't take long for the medicine to kick in, and I ended up going out and eating a huge lunch with my husband.

I'm starting to feel the medicine wear off, but I'm hoping after I sleep tonight it'll be gone. I'm dreading work tomorrow because I have a LOT to get done, and if I still have the migraine I don't know what I'm going to do.

I think I need a less stressful job to see if the headaches get better. What that would be, I don't know...I seem to stress about everything. Maybe I just need to try yoga again.