Thursday, October 9, 2008

Healthy Eating

I've pretty much always tried to eat healthy, except for a brief time in college when I realized that I could use the money on my dining card at the campus convenience stores and get as much candy as I wanted, but that ended when I graduated. But, there is always room for improvement.

After doing some reading and researching, I've realized that I have a long way to go. I make well-balanced meals and try to eat fruits and veggies and cook from scratch, and the MSG issue helps - it's in a lot of processed foods, so I avoid most of them. Some things I need to start doing are eating more fresh produce from the local farmer's market, buying organic foods like hormone-free meat and milk, and limiting my intake of refined sugars and white flour. I LOVE me some starches, but overall, I don't think I'm going to have a hard time doing this.

So why am I doing this? Because I intend to win my War on Headaches. Eating healthy and exercising, which I've also been working on, pretty much seem to help any health problem, including headaches.

And a quick note on $$$ - I know organic things cost big bucks, but I believe that it's worth a try, at least for a few months, and if it does help my headaches, I won't have to spend as much money on neurology visits and medications.

I just found this really cool blog that relates to this - check it out if you want to give it a try.

P.S. - Not to go total eco-friendly, tree-hugging on you, but I'm also going to gradually use up my beauty products and start buying all natural stuff too (deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, makeup, etc.). Here's a good link: Cosmetics Database