Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sticking to Acupuncture


I actually don't know if I'm sticking to acupuncture, I just liked the play on words. :) Anyway, I did finally try acupuncture for the first time this week, thanks entirely to @stonetree on Twitter, who told me about community acupuncture. As you can probably guess, community acupuncture takes place in a room with chairs and anyone can walk in and have acupuncture. Because you're with other people instead of a private room, they charge a cheaper rate. I'm able to get acupuncture for $20 a session! The place I found does this once a week. The bad news is I'm in a decent-size city, and I only found one place that offers this; so if you are in a small town you may need to drive to the nearest city to do community acupuncture.

Everyone's been asking me what it's like, but it's pretty simple. The acupuncturist sticks needles in you. I'll try to be a little more descriptive though. I had about eight-ten needles in me - on my feet, the insides of my legs below my knees, elbow area, and wrists and hands. It didn't hurt until the lady pressed down on the needles after inserting them; that felt like when you push on a bruise. Also, I didn't move much because it would hurt if I moved the wrong way. The lady said that the 800mg Ibuprofen I took that morning for a headache (what else) may have masked the sensation.

The needles were in me for about 45 minutes. Someone was there when I first got there, but she was just finishing up, so I had the room to myself. The acupuncturists (a husband and wife team) did talk to me for a little while and they told me the main reason people go to their clinic is for headaches and back pain. The one acupuncturist said I WILL see results after about 4-6 visits. We shall see.

Also, they told me to take fish oil and vitamin B, so I'll be looking into that.

And one more thing - if you try this, check to make sure your acupunturist is certified!