Monday, September 24, 2007

News Item - How to stop a headache before it starts

Interesting article from SELF magazine on MSN.com today...the first one relates to my last post. I shortened the others, but you can click on the link to get more information. I don't agree with the caffeine one, because why would you have caffeine every day if you can't skip it without getting a headache? That seems like a bad idea. I limit my caffeine intake to once a week, if that. I do just about everything else on the list though, especially the ones about drinking water all day and avoiding MSG (monosodium glutamate) - it makes me miserably sick, so I avoid it anyway.

How to stop a headache before it starts
8 drug-free tips to avoid agony and painproof your day

By Jaydine Sayer
Self
Updated: 2:17 p.m. ET Sept 23, 2007


7 a.m.: Abide the alarm
Snoozing in for more than an hour can disrupt your sleep-wake cycle, and anything that tinkers with your body’s natural rhythms may prime you for pain, says Lisa Mannix, M.D., a spokeswoman for the National Headache Foundation in Chicago. Commit to waking up (and going to bed) at the same time every day — yes, that includes weekends, too.

7:45 a.m.: Get caffeinated
10:45 a.m.: Do a posture check
11:30 a.m.: Break for H2O
12:30 p.m.: Skip the sandwich
3 p.m.: Take a time-out
6 p.m.: Slip into your sneakers
8:30 p.m.: Wind down slowly

Copyright © 2007 CondéNet. All rights reserved.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20759949/wid/11915773?GT1=10412