I had my second appointment at the new headache center this week, and I got the results of my sleep study.
I don't have sleep apnea, but I did have a few leg twitches and it took me a while to fall asleep (I was in a strange place and had wires stuck to my body). But she did say that I woke up an average of 10 times per hour, particularly in the first stage of sleep.
Here's the extremely disappointing part, and I'm more mad at myself than anything. She put me on Lyrica and said that helps people get more restorative sleep and it should help me. I've tried Lyrica before. But did I tell her this? No. Why, I don't know. Up until that point, the appointment hadn't gone very well, because my memory sucks and she wanted me to tell her about my headaches without looking at my headache diary, and I can't count how many were mild and moderate (I remember the severe ones of course), they just all blur together, and she was saying there was a disconnect and it seemed like she was accusing me of lying. Plus, she had given me two medications during my first visit that I had tried before, and when I had told her that, she told me to try them again. So I figured she wouldn't care this time.
So, now I'm on the following:
- Iron because my blood test showed I have low iron
- Maxalt because I told her the Imitrex made my throat tight - I've tried Maxalt before too, and I took it yesterday and it didn't help, but whatever.
- Regular Magnesium (magnesium oxide) instead of Magnesium Potassium Sulfate because my neuro recommended trying a different kind if it was giving me stomach issues, although she said that it's not common for any type of magnesium to give people stomach problems.
- Vivelle dot (fake estrogen/progestin or whatever patch) - I put it on Monday afternoon and took the Nuva Ring out - goal was for me to have a regular period and then tomorrow morning, I start the Nuva Ring again, and this time, I shouldn't have constant spotting. Problem is, I didn't start the normal period until just now, and it's not going to have enough time to finish before the Nuva Ring stops it. At least I don't think it would. But I'm going to follow the doctor's orders.
- still on Lexapro and I still have the "emergency" migraine concoction; however, my neuro said I CANNOT take Butalbital/Fioricet again because of rebound headaches. :(
I did some quick online research on sleep disorders and didn't find anything that fit my symptoms. I don't snore, I don't have trouble falling asleep, and I don't have trouble staying asleep. I rarely notice waking up throughout the night, so I don't know what's going on.
I may see a sleep specialist in the future, but I just spent $450 on medical costs so I'm not adding on to my medical bills any time soon.
I'm extremely frustrated. My husband told me yesterday that he wouldn't mind all my medical bills if there were results, but there aren't any. My headaches are getting worse. And I feel like I'm running out of options.
Wishing I could say, "April Fools!"...